There are dozens of varieties of Almonds available throughout the world. California grown Nonpareil Almonds are most highly traded variety across the globe. The nuts have a much higher yield percentage, which amounts to the average weight of kernels when extracted from shells. If one is not sure about which variety of Almonds to buy or the exact final application, it is safest to buy Nonpareil Almonds.
Nonpareil are easily blanched (skin removed) and cut for processed forms. A thin outer shell and smooth kernel allow for easy, blemish-free processing. As a result, Nonpareil almonds used anywhere an attractive appearance or a strong almond identification is important.
Here are some interesting facts about Nonpareil almonds as mentioned by the Almond Board of California:
- Blooms and harvested early;
- Soft shell; brown color; high suture opening;
- Medium, flat shape; light color; smooth surface;
- Nonpareils are readily blanched and cut for processed forms;
- A thin outer shell and smooth kernel allow for easy, blemish-free processing. As a result, Nonpareils are used anywhere an attractive appearance or strong almond ID is important.
Shell: Soft shell, brown color, high suture opening
Kernel Size & Shape: medium size, flat, light color, sweet flavor, blanches well
Tree Characteristics: upright growth, then spreading to a large tree
Estimated Chilling Requirement: 400 hours below 45°F
Bloom Timing: mid February to early March
Harvest Timing: late August